My minimalist experiment: How it ended and what I learned
So, I didn't make it to June 1st, but it's okay because I learned so much. I made it to Easter, April 21st. From an astrological perspective, Uranus went into the sign of Taurus conjunct the sun, and suddenly I needed a physical and material overhaul of some of my belongings. For example, I lost my sunglasses and was using my husband's old pair that was constantly falling off my face. After a few weeks, I couldn't take it anymore, and it was like--I need some sunglasses! So that's where it ended:)
I learned layers of lessons from this experiment:
1) I learned that I liked doing an experiment.
2) I learned that like a fast from certain foods, it's incredibly healthy to fast from buying things.
3) I learned to budget and track my finances. For things I know I want to buy, I have them on my calendar when I will buy them.
4) I learned to be resourceful and make-do without something until the right moment comes to buy it.
5) Checking out books on-line from the library is AMAZING!
6) A lesson that surprised me-- It doesn't cost of lot of money to add more bits of joy into our physical surroundings. More on this, when I review the fabulous book Joyful by Ingrid Fetell Lee.
So, what was I spending time doing if I wasn't thinking about buying things:
Time management, spending time with loved ones, nurturing friendships, starting creative projects, and getting clear on what I want to do with my future.